


Nanaimo was all about yoga. I was scheduled to teach 12 classes in 8 days, and it was a wonderful experience. I felt very fortunate that Doug and Sue Carroll, the owners of the Nanaimo Bikram Yoga Studio, gave me the opportunity to be a visiting teacher. Nanaimo is a 2 hour bus ride from Victoria, on the east coast of the island. It is one of the big ferry ports that connects Vancouver Island to the mainland. Because I was so busy teaching, and practicing each day as well, I didn’t get to see much of the island, but that was ok. I did catch up with Julie Bishop who was in my group at Teacher Training, and made some new friends as well. Jacque, from Wellington (and Seattle), was also in Nanaimo teaching for a few days. She was there with her partner, Jonnie. Our paths are intersecting though some of my adventure.
I did get out and see something of Nanaimo. Doug and Sue took me on a tour of the waterfront and old part of the town. Then, on the Sunday, I joined Doug and Sue and another visiting teacher, Ulli, from Germany, and hiked up Mt Benson. The forest was beautiful, and the view from the top was worth the climb. Apparently there are cougars and bears in the forest, but we didn’t see any! From the top, I did see a large falcon gliding the thermals.
The scenery here is breathtaking, layers of mountains, some with snow on the peaks, all surrounded by water. Sunsets are gorgeous, pinks, corals, oranges, reds.
I left Nanaimo by ferry from Duke’s Point to Twassen on the mainland where I was met by Jacque and Jonnie. From there we drove to Seattle, the longest part of the drive was waiting in the queue of traffic to go through the border.
No comments:
Post a Comment