I had originally thought that I would take the train from Chicago to Washington, DC, but felt that I really didn’t want to spend 17 hours in the train. So I decided to fly. Shopping around, I decided to fly JetBlue. It should have been all good!!! However, the time I had hoped to save was totally negated by what happened! I was dropped off at the airport at 10:30am, so I could catch my flight. I checked in (had to re-distribute some stuff to get my suitcase down from 53 pounds to 50), then went through security to wait to board. Got to the gate to find out that the flight had been delayed due to mechanical problems in New York (very reassuring), and hadn't even left there yet. My flight was supposed to leave Chicago at 12:15pm and fly to New York. I had a connecting flight in NY to DC. I got that changed to the latest flight, leaving NY at 10:30pm. Worried a bit about whether my suitcase would make it. Anyway, we finally took off at 4pm!!!!! Got to NY, and was put in a holding pattern for 30 mins before landing. People were getting a bit tetchy.
At JFK, I got a sandwich, then settled down to wait, and thought, perhaps I had better check that my next flight was on time. There was chaos at the airport, lots of flights delayed. Good thing I did check, the flight was on time, but the gate had been changed. We boarded at the right time, waited a while, taxied out....and waited on the tarmac for over an hour before we could take off. More tetchy, tired people. Finally took off at about 11:30 pm, arrived at 1:15am or so. Long walk to a shuttle which took us to the baggage claim, and my suitcase was the first one out. My aunt Sylvia and uncle Bill were waiting patiently. Another 30+ minutes to their house, and I was knackered. I went to bed at around 2:30am, but didn't get to sleep until 4 or 5am. I woke up, looked at the clock, thought it said 9:00 am, but it was 11:45am instead! Oh well, I have been pretty lucky with all my traveling, so had to be ‘yogic’ about a little bit of travel adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment